The Title V HSI is a five year integrated plan to improve retention and progression in Science and English disciplines using academic support initiatives, supplemental curriculum development for critical thinking skills, the development of a new virtual lab “elab,” as well as strengthening the Learning Resource Center’s Academic Success Center and Science Success Center. With Title V funding, LAMC will also provide faculty and staff development, strengthen comprehensive support services, and initiate outcomes assessment, and evaluation.
Title V HSI/Improving Student Success and Access- ISSA
The Title V HSI/ISSA is comprised of three components, each proposing strategies designed to increase the capacity of Mission to support, retain and successfully graduate a greater proportion of its Hispanic students in English/Reading and Writing, Science and to increase the capacity of Mission to better serve our students through the strengthening of academic/student support infrastructure.
Component One—Strengthening Academic Support for English
Component Two—Strengthening Academic Support for Science, and
Component Three—Increasing Access, especially for our Part-time Students.
a) increased progression and success rate in English and science;
b) increased academic programs and online services for part-time and evening students;
c) revised curriculum with supplemental instruction; and
d) faculty development.
Title V HSI/ISSA At-A-Glance
$2.8 million grant from the U.S. Department of Education
- A five year integrated plan to improve retention and progression in Science and English, ESL and other disciplines
- Development of academic support initiatives, supplemental curriculum development for critical thinking skills, and technology support and instruction
- Enhances learning through tutoring, supplemental instruction, and the development of a new virtual lab “elab”
- Developed by LAMC faculty and staff in a collaborative effort: Susan Rhi-Kleinert, Young-Ji Lee, Richie Aribuabo, Maury Pearl, Lilit Haroyan, Marie Zaiens, Alfred Romulo, Sandy Thomsen, and Hahn Tran
- Lead Coordinators- Andzhela Keshishyan, Lilit Haroyan, Johnny Phung
- Faculty Advisors: Gary Prostak, Gina Ladinsky, Mike Fenton, Par Mohammadian, Angela Echeverri, Said Pazirandeh, Mike Reynolds, Hanh Tran
- Multi-Media Team: Rafael Rodriguez III, Pablo Vazquez